The town of Šaľa is one of the medium-sized towns in Slovakia. It has become known thanks to finding of frontal bone of the Neanderthal man, 46-60 thousands years old. The replica is kept by Archeological Museum near CVČ Šaľa. First written record of settlement under name Terra Wag can be found in Annex to founding charter of Pannonhalma Abbey from 1002, issued by Hungarian king Stephen I.. Šaľa received status of town in 1536. Favourable location, proximity of Váh river, but also fact that Šaľa lied on junction of „Czech road“ and road from Nitra towards Bratislava predetermined its development in following centuries. Today it is a centre of chemical industry thanks to Duslo, a. s. company, also its agricultural culture was kept.
Church presents classicist structural-architectonic elements. It was built in 1828 – 1829 on place of older temple. Builder of today’s church was Juraj Schwartz from Trnava. Building is single-naved with level closure of presbytery, arched with cupola. A sacristy was built additionally on northern side.
Baroque Roman Catholic Church rebuilt in classicist way was mentioned already in the 14th century. It was rennovated in 1725, and in 1805 it was extended by presbytery. In proximity, there is a pseudogothic chapel from the 19th century and a big cross.
-photo: 2, author: Zuzana Melušová
House was built on original “mešternica” (supporting beam) in 1831. It is one of gems of folk architectue in Central Europe. Buildings of mentioned type were made from plaited bun. Walls were from wooden columns - poles, wovened with osiers. The netting was geased with clay mixed with chaff from both sides. The roof was made from rushes. Roof frame is characterized by statue structure. Currently the house is property of the Nitra Self-governing Region. It is administrated by Nitra Region Museum in Nitra as one of its ethnological expositions. House contents are lended from Homeland Studies Museum in Galanta.
Sculpture was made in 1895 in memory of exceptional event – tower of Church of St. Margaret of Antioch was struck by lightning in 1886. Statue was built thanks to the means of residents of Šaľa. Stonemason’s works were done by local master J. Múdry. Author of work was a sculptor Johanes Rumpelmayer from prominent stonemasonry family from Bratislava. In 1974 the sculpture was considerably damaged during car accident. In 1992 it was reconstructed again and put on authentic place thanks to contribution of resident of town of Šaľa Imrich Szabó and Tibor Szatmár from Kráľová nad Váhom. In years 2009 – 2010 town ensured professional restoration of sculpture with objective to rehabilitate original material substance and art expression of the monument.
-photo: 4, author: Eva Janeková
Today two-storey building with preserved Renaissance and Baroque structural elements was built on oldest, probably Gothic foundations in first quarter of the 17th century. It was also merit of Peter Pázmany, archbishop of Esztergom, for which manor house became his summer residence. After change to water castle in period of Turkish threat acquired a defensive status. Building was in the first half of the 18th century rebuilt in Baroque style. In 1598, after Jesuit collegium from Kláštor pod Znievom moved to Šaľa, manor house was structurally adjusted for new purposes, besides other things for education of sacerdotal youth. In the course of its evolution the building served for various purposes, nowadays there is a residence of State Archive in Bratislava, subdivision Šaľa.
Jewish Cemetery in Veča, as a second in this locality, started to serve needs of religious community in the course of the 19th century. Today it has function as last immovable memory of local Jewish communities (Veča and Šaľa). Currently there are more than 250 gravestones (maceva) in different conditions, from those intact through those partially damaged to abandoned fragments. Cemetery is orthodox, gravestones are made from traditional materials, granite, limestone and sandstone. Inscriptions are Latin, Hebrew, Hungarian, German and Slovak. Maurice Henri Weil – officer, bearer of prestigious French decoration the Knight of Legion of Honour, is buried here. M. H. Weil was a prominent French writer, author of several volumes of works from military history.
A multi-storey building became a residence of the Cooperative against floods and internal water on the right shore of Váh in Šaľa in 1895. Object serving for administrative purposes was built in connection with construction of anti-flood dikes. Currently there are premises of art and literary-dramatic department of the elementary art school.
In the inventory list of the town of Šaľa there are seven artesian wells. Locality Šaľa: the Holy Trinity Square, Školská street, Dolná street (near Večierka), Vlčanská street, Horná street, Hviezdoslavova street; locality Veča: Pribina Square (next to fire station). First artesian well was bored on the Holy Trinity Square in 1904 up to depth of 300 m.
Construction of the building was realized according to project and under supervision of one of the most renowned Slovak architects Milan Michal Harminc. In its period a modern building, with launch of construction in 1931, was completed and put into operation in December 1932. Currently it is a residence of state institutions (district office).
Building of railway station was built in 1848. It served as a crossing station with manipulative railway rails and storehouses for storage and unloading of transported goods, or with signal box houses for remote switching of points. At the end of the 20th century the building underwent through modernization adjustments.
Central city zone in Šaľa rightly belongs to modern wonders of the city. City obtained a big space for relax and cultural purposes thanks to revitalization of space, amphitheatre and thanks to its opening and completing with a new fountain. There was created an attractive zone in city centre that serves for relaxation of all residents and visitors of the city.
District Folk Library, established in 1951, became over time a modern educational institution, in new reconstructed premises. One of historical curiosities was so called „Book delivery to home“, service supported by local academic youth. Discussions with prominent Slovak authors or various events for children and young people are the norm of library of Šaľa.
Secondary professional school in Šaľa ensures schooling in subject breeder with focus on horse breeding and equitation from half of 1970s. The then training school has gradually established two open riding halls, training, spatial circuit for race horses and an indoor hall. School students successfully represent their equestrian art both home and abroad, representatives are world class, with show jumping and race riders with horses from own breeding.
Water Work Kráľová – Kaskády is a multi-purpose water work on Váh river. It was completed in 1985, besides other things it serves as anti-flood protection and it also provides space for water sports, fish farming and active relax. Water Work Kráľová forms part of dams system Váh Cascade.
(texts source: Sala.sk; wikipedia)
Prepared by: Mgr. Lea Tóthová