The district of Levice
The district of device hides countless interesting places. Seven wonders of the Levice district will take you, step-by-step, on a tour around the historical monuments and buildings with immense importance to this area. Seven wonders of the today’s world will show you the places that you should not miss on your way through the region in order to get a profound experience of the local community and history. Welcome to Levice.
The most dominant monument of not only Levice, but the whole district, is undeniably the stone castle from the second half of the 13th century. It was built on the steep rock spur, reaching down to the vast swamp in the valley, connected to the Hron River and Podužiansky potok brook. The primary purpose of the castle was to defend the main access route from Dolne Pohronie to mining town in Central Slovakia. Its far-fetching outlook over the surrounding valleys and swamps made military progression increasingly difficult. First known owner of the castle was Matúš Čák Trenčiansky. The first written mention of his existence comes from 1318, which refers to the castellan Julo of Topolčianky as a supporter of Matúš Čák's. After his death in 1321, the castle became a kingdom property. We can find the surrounding fortifications, stone framings, gothic gantry of the oldest palace, facade and fortification fragments preserved to this day.
The Tekov museum can be found within the area of the castle. The original location was on the second floor of a town house. In 1954 the museum moved to the underground spaces of the former Franciscan Order monastery, four years later to the so called “Captain’s building” within the area of the Levice Castle, where it resides since now.
The place of great religious importance and countless ceremonies and prayers got a new breath. The city decided to renovate this long forgotten and nearly-in-ruins historical building. The process concluded in 2012 and the synagogue is now used to host various cultural events and exhibitions. Moreover, the building which conceals many hidden secrets recently unveiled one of them to the public’s eye. The workers found and old document and bunch of golden coins hidden in the wall during the works on foundations, in March 2011. The document disproved the alleged claim that the synagogue was built in 1853. It supposedly happened just 30 years later, in 1883.
Rock-cut houses are one of the 11 preserved examples of folk architecture in Slovakia. They are located in the small village of Brhlovce in the Levice district. It is said that the purpose of these dwellings was to protect its residents from Ottoman raids in the 16th and 17th century. Thanks to the immense quantities of the volcanic ash and dust (tuffite and tuff) from the rich volcanic activities during The Tertiary period, located in the village itself and its vicinity, local people found ways how to use these resources to their advantage. And so the residents of Brhlovce cut-out their distinctive living and utility spaces into these sediments, where up to 3 families could live alongside one another. The rock was not only an ideal material to provide accommodation, but also as a source of livelihood. In the 19th century stonemasonry became the stone foundation of the local people’s existence.
Kalinčiakovo can be undeniably proud of its catholic matronium church from the 12th century, which is a fine example of the Romanesque style architecture. It was built as a single-navel structure with a half-circle apse and west-oriented matroneum. The church fell under the management of the Reformed Protestantism in 1655. During the Baroque period a small turret was added to the structure, a little north of the central axis of the main church. Last modifications were made in 2003, when the turret and the supporting pillars’ facade was renovated. On top of that, the roof was coated in new wooden roof tiles. Originally, the church was surrounded by the stone wall, however only indefinite amount of remnants were preserved to this date. The old saying says that the church is supposedly connected to the web of underground tunnels under the Castle of Levice.
We can’t forget Pukanec - one of the oldest mining towns in Slovakia. The most significant building of this town, which withstood all virtues of history, is the Catholic Church of Saint Nicholas, patron of the town. It is an impressive gothic architectural piece consisting of two navels with an astounding net vaulting, and original furnishing and decorations. This church laid in the center of the town castle, similar to the one in Kremnica. It could be entered from the bridge on the main square through the tower, which later served as a town hall. It has been since replaced with the church gate. The castle was enclosed within a wooden palisade and timber walls during Hussite wars and later replaced with stone walls. The defensive purpose of the castle proved crucial during the Ottoman attacks. The remnants of the fortification can be found behind the church in relatively well-preserved state. We believe that this town deserves not to be left forgotten.
One of the things about Owl Palace that amazed us is the fact that the famous Austrian composer Franz Schubert stayed in this very place during his stay in Želiezovce in 1824. Up until 2009 it hosted solely a Franz Schubert Memorial Room exposition by the Tekovské Múzeum in Levice, but after the undergone renovation, which added two additional rooms, it is also used as a town museum (established in May 15th, 2010).
The museum is administered by the Municipal Office in Želiezovce and cooperates with the Tekov Museum in Levice. To the original exhibitions documenting the life and work of Franz Schubert was added new exhibition documenting the history of Želiezovce. The collected items are borrowed from the Slovak National Museum - Archaeological Museum, the Music Museum, from the Tekov Museum in Levice and from private collectors. Most of the objects come from the private collection of local historian Pavol Polka.
1km north of the Bohunice village on the Sikenica brook lies an interesting small mill settlement of the former miller Paul Turčan, that’s been open to public since 1979. It is an overshoot type mill with a renovated grinding part and an electricity implemented in 1938. Adjacent to the mill with the yard is also a small garden. The occupied part, furnished and decorated with the items from the same period, consists of the small bedroom, kitchen, and pantry with storage room. Second part of the complex, barn, is currently being used as a service room. Third separate part includes the “grinding room” and the “wheel room”.
A modern wellness centrum was built in Santovka. In this quick-paced world it sure feels good to break out of the chaotic everyday life and relax for a change.
The thermal spa in Santovka has been known for centuries, but only in the 19th century did people start using it for medical purposes. In 1948 the spa became a government property. In the 60’s the swimming pool and a smaller pool for children were built in the thermal spa area. A restaurant soon followed, alongside with a cottage zone, the Koliba, and a camping and a car camping area. The village took management over the spa in 1898, but because of the indebtedness had to be put up to public auction. The spa area was desolated, insufficient in both technical and hygienic aspect. The thermal spa was turning into a wasteland and the name of Santovka became losing its charm. Everything changed when the company A.N.E.S (SANTOVKA WELLNESS) bought the spa in 2001. Today the spa is a widely popular resort. It is open all year round between Tuesday and Sunday. It offers an accommodation in the Petit Hotel Santé, covered thermal pool with 26-27°C temperatures, hot baths with an optional scented and healing salts, and various types of massages.
Work guarantee is now a very elusive concept. People from Levice, but also people from the vicinity and far away, welcomed the possibility of new jobs, which had been offered them by the city of Levice in a newly built industrial park. Therefore, in our opinion, the industrial park belongs to the modern wonders of the Levice district. The area is about 65 hectares. The city received a grant from the EU funds of almost € 9.3 million for the revitalization of an area of 1.8 hectares near the road in the direction to the Starý Hrádok. On this particular site the city of Levice has still available free areas for further construction of about 36 thousand square metres and further areas of approximately 238 thousand square meters. It is expected that in the near future, the industrial zone will expand and more jobs will be added.
Levice belongs to the most successful cities in Slovakia that are attractive to investors. In the industrial zone of the South, 14 buildings were built mostly by foreign investors, who together employ around 2,000 people.
Sport is for most people, especially men, the highly attractive topic for conversation. Mental strain is appropriate to balance with the sporting activities in the spirit of the Greek kalokagathia. And when we don't do sports, we go relax at least by encouraging our athletes.
Levice can be proud of new sports hall, which is very attractive for organizing sports training camps or large events due to its location within the city sports complex. It has parameters for organizing sporting events on an international level with live TV streaming. It is open the whole year. This sports hall with a capacity of 2,000 people is used for sports activities, such as basketball, volleyball, mini football, handball, but also for organizing concerts. A sports complex in the town of Levice includes not only sports hall, but also a swimming pool, hockey hall, football grounds, gyms of various kinds. Due to its diversity and complexity is among the most modern in Slovakia.
The Atlantis Science Center is the first and only one scientific and entertainment center for children and youth in Slovakia. It is intended for the general public. The target group is children, but also entire families, who are being offered the possibility to spend unforgettable moments full of fun, games and learning. Children here can try for example deflating huge bubbles, controlling mini excavator, to see real Desert Storm, whirlpool or earthquake.
The main purpose of the Atlantis Science Center is to introduce children the laws of physics, natural phenomena and contribute to popularize science disciplines by a playful, interactive way. All exhibits are fictitious and handmade, there are 110 exhibits created, of which 80 are exposed in the center and part of exhibits touring the exhibitions.
The stars are fascinating. Each of us has at least once stopped and just watched the night sky. Therefore, we've placed there the Tekov observatory. It was founded in 1956 as the third in Slovakia. Tekov observatory received in 2004 planetarium, which is unique not only in our country but also in Central Europe.
People from Levice, had been waiting for the new square many years. In 2011, square was completed and therefore we consider it as one of the modern wonders of Levice. After the reconstruction of the square, was created in the Levice town cultural and recreational area of nearly one hectare, which will serve to organize cultural and social events. On the new square was preserved part of the original stone pavement as a remembrance of the history of the city, when the fairs took place here. Within the reconstruction of the square the monument to fallen heroes was renovated, which is dominant of the square from the 2nd World War.
There have been placed fountains with light effects with the variety of colors and water jets for relaxation and fun. Opposite to the city office is located meteorological station, which provides information about the exact time, date, temperature and humidity. The square is illuminated by a total of 247 lamps - 34 street lamps, 189 paving lights and 22 column-shaped lamps. Two spotlights illuminate the monument. On the square was also fitted stone tile Magma Via, which marks a historic route that crosses several historical and thematic routes in order to approach the tourist regions and natural attractions and other attractions on the route Magma Via. An interesting fact is that students of the Secondary vocational school from Levice participated in the production of stone tiles Magma Via.
A city park in Levice consists of new and old part. It is a very popular place for relaxing, for people from Levice, also due to its location in the city center. The new part of the park is in the minds of people from Levice connected to a fountain, pond, climbing frames for children and a restaurant. City of Levice got approved project named "Revitalization of Schoeller’s Park 2," which the city of Levice decided to submit based on the suggestions from citizens. The main aim of this project is to restore the old part of the protected area and promote its popularity among the people. Within the project was built in the park a new modern playground with elements for exercise for parents, which meets all safety standards. The information board was embedded, which informs the general public about the history of the park and about the past Schoeller’s manor-house.
Mochovce Nuclear Power Plant is located between the towns of Nitra and Levice. Power plant operates two nuclear pressurized water reactors of Soviet-type VVER 440/213, but in the area are two more blocks of the same type.
Construction of Mochovce NPP began in November 1982, but in 1991 it was stopped for lack of funds. In 1995 the government approved a plan to complete the construction of two units at Mochovce NPP under the condition of refill outdated Soviet technology with advanced western security elements. The units were put into operation in July 1998 and December 1999. They planned lifetime is until 2028, respectively 2030th
In 1985, the construction of two other blocks was started, but for lack of funds, the construction was stopped in 1992 and conserved. Despite the pressure from Austria in November 2008 construction started again and was financed mainly by the majority owner of Slovenské elektrárne and Italian company Enel. According to the Slovenské elektrárne the completion of Units 3 and 4 is one of the largest private investment in the history of Slovakia.