Originally independent municipality of Vítkovice was documented in 1390 under name Wýtkowek. First indirect information on existence of church comes from the beginning of the 12th century. According to records from canonical visitation of 1755 during removal of the old Gothic altar, a Roman year MCXII (1112) was found on stone stand that was undoubtedly related to construction of church or finishing of its interior decoration.
Cemetery used to be in the church’s premises.
In the 16th century the nave of church was vaulted with Renaissance vault supported by pillars. Sanctuary was rebuilt in the 17th century and in the 18th century supporting pillar was added to the northern facade. Sacristy with oratory were additionally built in the 19th century. Exterior facade, window apertures and elevated entrance portal were restored in 1950, in the 1970s pavings of nave and sanctuary were replaced, and matroneum was built.
Structural-historical research was realized in the years 1999-2006 continued by restoration, while results of research, documenting Romanesque building, were presented. Restoration of Church of Saint Stephen the King was officially terminated with its consecration on 19 August 2006.
From original Romanesque church preserved are extant rectangular nave and triumphal arch with Romanesque profiling of mouldings in inclinations. Facades of Romanesque part of church have medieval plasters. The western one terminates with high triangular gable, dominant is stone Romanesque portal with surbased arch and round window. On southern facade Romanesque slot windows are indicated, with remains of monochromy on parapets. Northern wall wasn’t divided originally, currently it is cutted with Renaissance window and reinforced with Baroque supporting pillar.
Research revealed, in moulding strip under roof, fragments of medieval plasters with visual geometric decoration, but condition of torso doesn’t allow to present them. More recent elements are Gothic polygonal closure of sanctuary, Late Gothic pastoforium in sanctuary, built-in stone holy water font from the 14th century at nave’s entrance, Renaissance barrel vaulting of nave and sanctuary with lunettes on pillars with moulding head and modern matroneum above the entrance. There are two crypts under nave of the church, their entrances were covered by new paving in 1970.